Almost four years I had been living on the beautiful Mediterranean island Malta before I relocated to Medellin, Colombia. With a size of 316 km² and just a bit over 400.000 habitants, Malta is a rather small island but still it has a lot offer and a very unique charm. Maybe Malta is not the most beautiful Mediterranean islands on first sight but I can assure that there are amazing places to discover and it definitely grew on me over the years. A detailed article would certainly go beyond the scope hence I am going to narrow it down to my favorite, spots, bars, restaurants etc.. For more details about the island itself and the historical background you can eventually check wikipedia.
In Malta a lot of Casino and betting companies settled down due to certain tax benefits and licensing issues. Also plenty of English language schools can be found on the island due to English, being after Maltese the second official language. I remember when I was still living in Germany that Malta had the reputation of being an island for retired people, which I can now say from own experience is completely wrong. I would rather say the exact opposite is the case. During summer and actually the whole year round language students, young businessmen, poker players, employees of igaming companies and tourists of all ages occupy the island. In Malta people like to party a lot, loud and 365 days a year. In Malta you can find everyday at least one Club which is packed. During summer months the party district Paceville is very well visited all the time during night hours. Paceville borders to the „cities“(I would rather say neighborhoods since these cities are so small) St.Juliens and Swieqi. Here you can find plenty of Clubs and bars lined up..
A short list of some of my favorite Clubs in Malta:
- Gianpula/Gianpula Fields (Rabat) is an open air Club where you can mainly listen to Electro/House music. Among other things the Electronic Music festival Creamfields takes place here.
- Numero Uno (Ta` Qali) Another place for fans of electronic music. Also different events take place at Numero.
- Juuls (St.Juliens) Who doesn’t know The Juuls bar doesn’t know Malta. Juuls is a Reggae bar at the foot of a stairway at Spinola bay. No doubt here are the best cocktails served and ambience is always relaxed. Highly recommended the Bombaclaat Mojito. Most likely my favorite bar in Malta.
- The Bridge Bar (Valletta) The Bridge Bar only opens Fridays during summer months. You can sit outside on cushions on the stairs in the city of Valletta and listen to Live-Jazz music. Probably my second favorite bar in Malta.
- Surfside (Sliema) At first Surfside looks very unimpressive but during summer months it is a great place to lounge at the ground floor in front of the sea. After I had been living across the street of surfside for a while it became my second home. The Pizza is also very good.
- Exiles (Sliema) Another beach bar similar to Surfside just a few meters further a long the promenade in direction of St.Juliens.
- Hugos Lounge (Paceville) Hugos Lounge is always busy even on Mondays you will find people partying here. The DJ plays mainly chart music.
- Havanna (Paceville) Hip Hop and Club music
- Clique (Paceville) For people that don’t want to sleep and enjoy moving theri feet to house music even in the early morning hours.
My favorite restaurants in Malta:
- Hugos Lounge (Paceville): Best sushi on the island and great Asian food in general. Unfortunately a little pricey and located directly in the heart of Paceville. Due to all the loud music around the ambience suffers a little.
- Club Sushi (St.Juliens) Located in a small alley across Avenue a well know family restaurant. The owner is a former chef of Sakura a Sushi restaurant in Sliema. Great Sushi, great atmosphere.
- Barcelona Lounge (Paceville) Not only because of its cocktail happy hour highly desired. It also offers a great selection of delicious Tapas.
- Ta`Kris (Sliema) Typical Maltese food in a small hidden alley in Sliema. Very nice relaxed atmosphere and great service. Go for the rabbit!
- Tapaz (Paceville) Another restaurant owned by Hugo (Hugos Lounge, Hugos Terrace, Hugos Winebar etc), who already owns half of Paceville. Best Tapas on the island if you find better ones elsewhere please let me know.
- Zest (St.Juliens): Mediterranean and Asian kitchen above Hotel Guliani at Spinola bay. It is a little pricey but great for a nice dinner fort two.
- Medasia (Sliema): Sushi and Asian dishes at the promenade (The Strand) of Sliema. Owner is a former chef of Hugos lounge. You will notice the similarities in the menu as well as in style of the interior.
- Cafe Portomasso (St.Juliens) weird thing in Malta is even though it is so close to Italy it is tough to find a really good Pizza. Probably it sounds weird and it is a little bit of an insider Tipp I guess but for me no doubt the best Pizza in Malta they have at Cafe Portomasso at the tower in St.Juliens.
- Lido (Paradise Bay): At the beach bar of Paradise bay they prepare a great Pizza and delicious Linguini with Clams. I never have high expectations when it comes to beach bars therefore Lido is a nice surprise.
- Surf Side (Sliema) I only come for the Pizza and the lounging.
- Fontanella (M`dina) Apparently they make the best cakes but here I have to rely on the opinion of others since I don’t really eat sweet things.
"In diesem Beitrag verwenden wir sogenannte „Affiliate Links“ (Werbelinks). Diese leiten dich zu Produkten und Dienstleistungen, welche wir dir zu 100% empfehlen können. Solltest du über diese Links etwas buchen/kaufen, erhalten wir als Dankeschön eine kleine Provision. Dir entstehen dadurch aber keine weiteren Kosten. So können wir auch weiterhin all unsere Inhalte, Bilder und Videos völlig kostenfrei für dich anbieten."